City of Vernon California

Claim Form


Pursuant to the California Government Tort Claims Act (Government Code sections 810-996.6), a claim must be filed if you are seeking money or damages from the City or one of its employees. With very limited exceptions, no lawsuit for money damages may be brought against the City or its employees unless a written claim has been properly filed with the City.  Claims for death, injury to person or to personal property must be presented to the City within (6) months from the date of loss (Government Code Section 911.2). Claims related to any other loss must be presented to the City no later than one (1) year from the date of loss (Government Code Section 911.2(a)).

WARNING: This is not intended as legal advice. You should consult with an attorney to determine the time period for filing either a claim or a lawsuit.

The City of Vernon has a standard claim form that can be used for your convenience. This form must be filed in person, or by mail, directly with the Vernon City Clerk located at 4305 South Santa Fe Avenue, Vernon, CA 90058. The City will review, and where appropriate, take action on the claim. However, neither the City Attorney nor any other City official or employee can provide legal advice concerning the claim or litigation against the City.

Please print out the Claim Form, sign it, attach any supporting documentation (e.g. repair estimates, invoices, proof of payments, photos of damage, etc.) and either deliver it directly to the Office of the City Clerk or return it by mail to the Office of the City Clerk at the address set forth above.

Download Claim Form