City of Vernon California

Planning Division

The Planning division oversees development in the City, with responsibilities that include maintaining Vernon’s General Plan and administering the City’s Zoning Ordinance, conditional use permits, parcel map and California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) applications.

Your feedback is important to the success of our Department. Please take a few minutes to tell us about your experience with the Public Works, Water and Development Services Department. Click here for our Customer Evaluation Form.


Zoning Ordinance

Vernon’s Zoning Ordinance establishes development rules for the City, carrying out the objectives laid out in the General Plan. This includes setting development standards for parking and loading, minimum lot sizes and setback requirements. Click here for a link to the zoning map.


Conditional Use Permit

alcoa renderingAny property uses that could be detrimental to the environment or the surrounding community must be in compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and be authorized by the Vernon City Council, which issues conditional use permits. Planning division staff evaluates the conditional use permit application, which includes an operations plan, hazardous waste inventory plan, traffic report, CEQA application and an environmental checklist. Once an application has been received, staff prepares a report and schedules a public hearing. After the public hearing, the Vernon City Council determines whether the permit application has been denied, approved or approved with conditions. Click the link to download Instructions and Application for a Conditional Use Permit



Property owners seeking a variance from zoning code requirements must submit an application to the Planning division, which evaluates the application for completeness, prepares a report and arranges a public hearing. After a public hearing, the Vernon City Council determines whether to grant the variance. Click here for the Building Code Variance Application and Zoning Variance Application.


Parcel Map, Lot Line Adjustments and Lot Mergers

planning image02

All new lots created in Vernon, either by a parcel map or lot line adjustment, must conform with the City’s building and zoning code requirements. The Planning division works with the Public Works and Building divisions to review all parcel maps, lot line adjustments and voluntary lot merger applications. The Public Works division evaluates all legal descriptions; the Building division is responsible for building code compliance; and the Planning division oversees zoning compliance and the environmental review process.




What is a Zoning Letter?

A Zoning Letter informs a potential buyer on what can and cannot be done with a particular property based on the current zoning and property past history. Depending on the information required, a Zoning Letter can provide information on legal land uses, zoning, zoning district performance standards, development history, and compliance. The cost of a zoning letter for the City of Vernon is $276; turnaround time is dependent upon staff work load but is generally between one to two weeks. City staff will research all information as accurately as possible based on or relating to the information on file with the City but the City assumes no liability for errors or omissions. All information is obtained from public records which may be inspected in-person during regular business hours.

Submission Requirements for a Zoning Letter

  • All requests for Zoning Letters shall be on company letterhead and signed by the requestor.
  • The Zoning Letter request shall state exactly the information you need to obtain, such as the zoning district of the property, the permitted uses for the district, the development standards for the property (i.e. density and height limitations) or any information of a zoning nature.
  • The Zoning Letter request shall state the legal address of the property you are inquiring about.
  • The Zoning Letter request shall indicate who the zoning letter should be addressed to and the mailing address.
  • The Zoning Letter request shall indicate the name and phone number of the contact person initiating the request.
  • All zoning letters will be mailed unless the request states that you wish to pick up the letter in person at the offices of the Department of Public Works, Water and Development Services.
  • The Zoning Letter request shall include a check payable to the City of Vernon in the amount of $276.
  • The Zoning Letter request shall be addressed to:


Daniel Wall
City of Vernon
Planning Division
4305 Santa Fe Avenue
Vernon, CA 90058