City of Vernon California

When Do I Need a Permit?

A permit is needed for all new construction.  In many cases, a permit is needed for repair or replacement of existing fixtures, such as replacing windows.  A plumbing, electrical or mechanical permit is needed for any addition or changes to a building's existing system; for example, moving or adding an electrical outlet requires a permit.  Some projects can be handled with over-the-counter permits that can often be handled in one quick trip to the City's Building Department.

Projects that usually require plans and permits are the following:

  • All new construction 
  • New door or window openings 
  • New or replacement of mechanical units 
  • Reroofing 
  • Moving interior walls 
  • Re-framing 
  • Room additions 
  • Retaining walls over 3' tall 
  • Adding or altering electrical 
  • Adding or altering plumbing 
  • Foundation repairs 
  • Adding a permanently wired light fixture


Please Note: Not all types of building and construction require permits in the City of Vernon.  A construction permit is not needed for items such as replacement or repair of fixtures (changing water faucet or replacing switches). Please contact the Building deparment before doing any work by clicking here

 Please remember, just because your project does not need a construction permit, it does not mean it may not need some other type of City review.  We suggest you call the Building Department at (323) 583-8811 any time you expand your business.  However, reviews may be required from other agencies; be sure to check before building.