City of Vernon California

Contractor's State License Information

The City of Vernon holds all construction to a high standard in order to maintain the safety and well-being of our citizens and our built environment.  As such, the City of Vernon is required by law to verify all construction and contractors' licenses working throughout the city.  The Building division is the enforcing agency for all industrial, commercial and residential construction.

Unlicensed Contractor                                     File a Complaint to the Contractors' License Board;  

Verify a License                                                License Classifications and Types

Report Unlicensed Activity                              Owner-Builder                                                  

Unlicensed Contractors

In the State of California, it is illegal for an unlicensed person to perform contracting work on any project valued at $500 or more in labor and materials.  Furthermore, unlicensed contractors do not have insurance and are not bonded. The Contractors' State License Board (CSLB) provides tools which can be used to verify license status and pending complaints, if any.

Verify a License

There are 3 ways to verify a contractor's license status through CSLB:

To search by license number, visit:

To search by business name, visit:

To search using the name of company personnel, visit:

Back to Top

Report Unlicensed Activity

If you know that a contractor is doing unlicensed activity, you should report them to the City of Vernon, and CSLB by visiting:

However, if you have unknowingly signed a contract with an unlicensed contractor, you should file a complaint with the Contractor State License Board. In order to do this, visit:

Back to Top

File a Complaint

Sometimes problems can arise throughout the construction process. Whether your contractor fails to fulfill a contract agreement, or poor craftsmanship leads to financial hardship, there is a way to hold contractors accountable for their work. One of the ways to do this is to file a complaint with the CSLB. Complaints can be filed against both licensed and non-licensed contractors alike. Just visit: in order to learn more about the complaint process and file a complaint online.

Back to Top

License Classifications

There are many different types of contracting licenses; these include General Engineering Contractor (Class A),  General Building Contractor (Class B), and a number of Specialty Contractor licenses (Class C), such as Electrical Contractor, or Drywall Contractor. For a full list and description of these classifications, please visit:

Back to Top


Some property owners would prefer not to hire a contractor to oversee construction on their property, and would rather do the work themselves or hire subcontractors. If you are one of these people, you are considered an Owner-Builder. However, there are many important responsibilities and risks every owner-builder should know about before making the decision to not hire a licensed general contractor. Click here to find out more about Owner-Builders. 

Back to Top