Personnel Policies & Procedures Manual
This manual is designed to acquaint you with the organization and provide you with the information about working conditions, employee benefits and some of the policies affecting your employment. You should read, understand, and comply with all provisions of the manual. It describes many of your responsibilities as an employee and outlines the programs developed by the City to benefit employees. One of the City's objectives is to provide a work environment that is conducive to both personal and professional growth.
No employee manual can anticipate every circumstance or question about the policy. Because of frequent changes in federal, state laws, and court decisions, the need may arise to change policies described in the manual.
This manual is not intended to constitute a contract of employment or a guarantee of the benefits or policies stated herein. The City reserves the right, subject to the requirements of the Meyers-Milias-Brown Act (Govt. Code Section 3500 et. seq) to revise, supplement, or rescind any policy or portion of the manual from time to time as it deems appropriate, in its sole and absolute discretion. City employees will, of course, be notified of such changes when they are being considered.
It is the intent of this manual to recognize the following principles:
- EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS:
- Attract and employ the best qualified and most competent persons available.
- Base appointments, promotions, and tenure of every City employee on a demonstrated need for the work performed, availability of funds, faithful and effective performance, proper personal conduct and continuing fitness for his/her position.
- Encourage, train and develop each employee to assure optimum performance.
All employees shall be required to read this manual upon being hired and to sign a statement acknowledging they have read and understand this manual. Upon adoption of this manual, current employees will also be required to read and sign a similar statement. Each department head will maintain a copy of the most current manual in their office for this purpose.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Terms of Employment
- Requesting & Recruiting Personnel
- Testing Certification and Eligibility List
- Acting Appointments
- Probation & Training Period
- Secondary Employment
- Employee Separation
- Pre-Employment Medical and Drug Screen Examinations
- Driver's License Requirements
- College Volunteer Internship Program
- Reference/Background Checks
- Criminal Background and Live Scan Policy
- Smoking Policy
- Dress Code Policy
- Tattoo and Body Piercing Policy
- CLASSIFICATION / COMPENSATION
- EMPLOYEE AND LABOR RELATIONS
- EMPLOYEE DEVELOPMENT
- HEALTH AND SAFETY