Fire Prevention Division
The Fire Prevention Division is the focal point of the fire department's efforts to minimize fire and hazard losses in the City of Vernon. Fire Prevention's key role is improving the safety and quality of life for its citizens and businesses. Under the direction of the Fire Marshal, the Fire Prevention Division is staffed by sworn and civilian personnel dedicated to increasing safety, preventing or reducing fire losses, and ensuring compliance with applicable codes and ordinances. The goal of the Fire Prevention Division is to safeguard the community from fire and environmental hazards through programs providing adherence to fire regulations, public education and hazard mitigation. To achieve this goal, the responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supervise and conduct fire safety inspections at all businesses, apartment buildings, schools, public assembly occupancies, health care facilities, and special events including television and film production sites.
- Issuance of fire permits for fire code related construction, and high hazard activities.
- Perform plan reviews for new construction, tenant improvements, and automatic fire protection systems.
- Manage inspections of new construction, tenant improvements, and existing businesses and occupancies to confirm their compliance with codes and ordinances.
- Direct public education and safety awareness programs.
- Investigate fire related incidents