Vernon CommUNITY Fund Scholarship Program
Vernon leaders are excited to offer the Vernon CommUNITY Fund Scholarship Program for calendar year 2021! The VCF Scholarship is available to student applicants who are committed to investing in their education for a brighter future.
The Vernon CommUNITY Fund Scholarship Program focuses on 12th grade students enrolling in a post-secondary educational institution with full-time status who reside in the Vernon Area (which includes the cities of Vernon, Maywood, Bell, Huntington Park, Commerce, the area within the City of Los Angeles known as Boyle Heights, and the unincorporated area known as East Los Angeles). Applications for calendar year 2021 will be accepted beginning January 1, 2021 through the last Thursday in March 2021 (March 25th, to be exact). Students who meet the criteria outlined below may submit an application for a VCF Scholarship.
- Graduating High School Senior
- Achievement of a Minimum Weighted Grade Point Average of 2.0 in high school level coursework for trade school or two-year College applicants; or Minimum Weighted Grade Point Average of 2.5 in high school level coursework for four-year College/University applicants at the time of VCF Scholarship application submission
- Pursuit of a two-year or four-year Degree from accredited College/University; or pursuit of Trade School Certification
- Full-time enrollment at post-secondary educational institution of choice (minimum of 12 units for college) at the time of awardImmediate transition into a post-secondary educational institution upon graduation from high school (must begin post-secondary coursework within 6 months of graduation)
- Residency in the Vernon Area (U.S. Citizenship is not required); minimum Area residency of 12 months
- Demonstration of strong leadership skills and responsibility (successfully communicated in scholarship application)Active in extracurricular activities (i.e., school/community involvement/employment/internship)
- A minimum of 20 hours of community service from 9th grade to first semester of 12th grade
- Not a City of Vernon employee or a legal dependent of a City of Vernon employee, Vernon City-appointed official, or Vernon City-elected official
Please visit www.vernoncommunityfund.org to learn more about the Fund and the VCF Scholarship Program.